Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Confession...

I registry stalk.  As in, when I'm really bored (or avoiding responsibility), I'll think if I know anyone having a wedding or baby and try to find their registry.  I know I'm not the only one.  (I think.)  Why confess? 

Because I love weddings.  And showers.  And babies.   And all things associated with both.  Because they represent THE happiest days of my life.

In honor of the month of love,  here is my own wedding webpage write-up  from a few years past.  Indulge me the complete girlish blathering of a fool in love.



Valentine's Day, 2004


JULY 17, 2004
Newlyweds for 2399 days!

ABOUT MELISSA
For the last two years, I have played "That Girl" in Atlanta, GA, now known as "The ATL" to hip hop enthusiasts and middle school students far and wide. If you couldn't tell, I am a Language Arts teacher at Summerour Middle School in Norcross, GA. My job presents me with many new experiences and I feel that I really could handle anything thrown at me as a second year teacher!

My first year in Atlanta was characterized by the "roller coaster" effect of being a middle school teacher, while this year has been set apart as the year I meet my intended, Alex.

ABOUT ALEX
Alex will graduate May 13th from Kennesaw State University, with a degree in Economics. He recently began his new job at Southern Insurance Underwriters as an Underwriting Assistant. He enjoys soccer and loves to talk about current issues. I am so happy he is in my life!

HOW WE MET
We meet at a church singles retreat in San Destin, FL on Labor Day Weekend. I first saw him at dinner and later our group of friends took a walk on the beach. As providence would have it, we meet up on the beach the following night, and Alex came alongside me to chat. After a rocky start (He seemed to think teaching was not a profession to make money, and really got an earful of my philosophies), we picked up speed talking about high school and our shared love of watching Dr. Phil! He asked me for my number and then waited eight days to call! When he finally did, I literally had a hard time catching my breath, which I took to be a good sign. After our pre-date "Will she go out with me/ Will he ever ask me out?" dance ended, our first date was set for a picnic at Amicolola Falls north of Atlanta. We spent an afternoon hiking and talking, and when we were in the car going home, listening to the radio and smiling to ourselves, I think we both knew we had found someone special.

WHEN WE GOT ENGAGED
February 14, 2004

HOW IT HAPPENED
Alex had sent me red roses earlier in the week at work, so I was sailing through the week. More than one person had predicted we would get engaged that weekend. Alex surprised me by taking me to the Fox theatre to see the ballet's "Romeo and Juliet." (Alex isn't the biggest ballet fan... He made his mom leave early at "The Nutcracker"!) While on our way, I noticed an odd shape in Alex's pocket. I tapped it and jokingly asked if it was a roll of quarters. He shrugged it off and I didn't think much about it. At intermission, we went upstairs to look at the beautiful ceiling of the Fox that resembles an evening sky. Alex was acting unusual: arms crossed, without much to say. After standing around for less than a minute, he quickly said he had a present for me, turned quickly, and faced me with a diamond ring and "Melissa, will you marry me?" A "yes" and embrace followed, and though he was too nervous to kneel down, it was the perfect proposal!

WHEN & WHERE
July 17, 2004
Cumming, GA

ABOUT THE BIG DAY
Think "Steel Magnolias" without the drama. It will be a pink and pink wedding! We hope to add some personal touches to the ceremony and reception and look forward to joining our lives before our Lord Jesus Christ, friends, and family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, can you see why I love registries?

Somewhat Stalkerishly but Sentimentally Yours,
Melissa

1 comment:

Natalie Mead said...

everytime I watch Steel Magnolia's wedding scene I think of you :)