Friday, March 17, 2023

Rapid Fire Recs: March 2023

 I have actual grown-up type tasks to complete (on the computer!  Freelancing!  Like a person who persons!) but sharing funzies and happies is so much easier.

Here are some mid-March must-shares:

1.  TV: Daisy Jones & The Six on Prime

I listened to this as audiobook, and immediately read most of Taylor Reid Jenkins' books.  If you like a 70s aesthetic, might want to put on some flare jeans in your 40s, or just have watched a Laurel Canyon documentary, this is a good show for you.  Sure, there's some light drug use (easy breezy pill-popping, amirite?) and your usual rock n' roll hedonism (but tastefully done!), but it's a good yarn with a great soundtrack. Plus Elvis' granddaughter as the title character is pretty perfect.

2.   Memoirs:  Spare by Prince Harry (ghostwritten by J.R. Moehringer) and All My Knotted Up Life by Beth Moore

Well.  I plan on printing out a few pages of each and using them to teach memoir.

This is probably my favorite type of writing as people are endlessly fascinating.  I borrowed Spare from the library as it felt a bit over-indulgent (even as a royals reader) to spend the money on a "royal tell-all". It did tell, but man did it SHOW as all young writers are exhorted to do.  It was masterfully curated by the author J. R. Moehringer, so much so I've reserved his memoir. The book is surprising and sad-- how a true family business affects children and how it warps familial love and loyalty.  I tore through it. And well: Team Harry.

MS. BETH MOORE.  Put some respect on her name.  I tease, but this woman has been through the social media fire and walked through some very vocal misogyny and just plain bashing like... a Christ follower.  Like someone with grit and integrity and humor and foibles and love.  Her memoir reads like a non-fiction novel: the details of her childhood are evocative and tangible.  She does not recount the unspeakable details of her molestation and abuse, but leaves no doubt of her scars.  I plain love her as a mentor in the faith and if you don't like it, I'll fight ya, bro.  (I'll hold my piece and my pocketbook and just root for her, but know I'm writing a strongly worded email in my mind.)  She is especially tender and candid as she talks about her marriage and the effects of PTSD on her husband.  Man, the gospel HOLDS in her life.  May that be true of me.

3. Yum yums: Snacks are a love language.  No new discoveries, but I'm enjoying Dot's Pretzels and Justin's Salted Dark Chocolate Caramel squares.

4.  My spring soundtracks are Ben Rector and Dave Barnes-- sunny optimism with a touch of snark and nostalgia.  Listen to the acoustic version of Ben Rector's song "Range Rover" for giggles.

5.  Cute clothes: As the mother of a 13-year-old daughter, I've re-entered American Eagle.  I snagged some light wash flare jeans for $20 on their app and even got the ship-to-store option.  All the tiny baby 000 sizes are sold out, but some woman (me) wanting to hop on the trend can still snag some 90s throwbacks.

I hope you are wearing your own equivalent of high-low fashion on this cool St. Patty's day.  I've got my $6 kelly green Target tee under my well-worn Old Navy cami and some fast fashion dangly daisy earrings and I'm feeling rull good.





No comments: