Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The second time around

I am on Season 5 of The Wonder Years. I remember watching the first episode over 20 years ago, when I was 9, a few years younger than the main character, Kevin, a 7th grader in the late 60s. I enjoyed it then, but I get it now. It's just about perfect. It mixes comedy and drama without being heavy handed. Kevin's father is gruff, yet his son falls in his arms after losing his first love. Norma, Kevin's mother, is a homemaker, who is the quiet force at home, and undisputedly her husband's first priority. Fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, loss, and what really matters is deftly tucked into 23 minutes and humorously narrated by a grown up Kevin, now a father in his own right.

Give it a try on Netflix and you won't be disappointed.

No comments: